Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Old Wood Signs


This is another project I completed recently that I just adore! If I could I would make one for every wall in my house….but that may be overkill so I’m sticking with these two cuties!
I got the idea for the sign from one of my fav blogger Shelly Smith over

Items Needed:
Wooden plaques or boards of some kind (any size you want, I got mine off an old wooden crate I bought at the antique store.)
Spray paint (any color)
Stain (brown)
1 small bottle of acrylic paint (any color)
Sand paper
Printer
Decoupage
Decorative decals (your choice)
Small foam brush

Ok so first things first. Stain or spray paint your wood with a dark color or whatever color you want to be the background color.
*While the wood is drying you move on to your printer. Some of you may have the cherished circuit or silhouette however I do not so I am old schoolin it. I do all my lettering/wording on the computer and print the page off. Then tear the page carefully around the edges of the lettering but make it look old and worn, I found by tearing at an angle it gave the torn edge some character.
*By then your wood should be mostly dry.  You will decoupage the paper to the wood board however you want. I went over the whole board and paper with a layer of decoupage to give it a good seal. Let it dry for about an hour.
*Then I used a cream spray paint and sprayed around the lettering and gave a very light coat of spray paint over the lettering. Now the fun begins. I love me some sandpaper!! Start sanding around the edges and all over, even on the paper itself. Rough it up until you’re satisfied.
*I then took the foam brush and very lightly dipped it in my can of stain (I have a gallon of stain left over from my cabinets and it really comes in handy for these little projects.) and dab it on a paper towel. And wipe it back and forth across the wood board. You can do the same with paint as I did on the Simplicity sign. I used red paint and diluted it with water. After that dries you then apply the decals and sand again until satisfaction. I like to rough up the decals too so that they don’t look brand new on this old sign. I continued to paint and sand until I reached the desired effect.
*And last but not least, go over the edges with the stain to give it that old effect.
And voila you have a new cute sign!
  


This craft is linked up to:

12 comments:

Dominique said...

I love these!Super cute!

mE aNd mY tℎrIfTy IdEas said...

Oh my gosh...seriously?? You are super talented girl! I am going to feature you today! Welcome to blogging!

Unknown said...

This turned out great! I just love the look of an old sign or a sign made to look old :)


Thanks for linking up to FFA!

Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

Jen Campbell said...

These signs are so much fun to make! I love processed projects, its so fun to see how something starts off and then finishes looking so different!

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

Great idea, they are super cute!

Anonymous said...

I love this!! I don't have a cricut or silouette either and have been wanting to try some signs . . . thanks for the great suggestion of how to work it old school. :) Came here from embellishing life.

Jen said...

Love this! I would love to have you come and link up to Fantastic Friday at http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

Thanks.

Jen Campbell said...

Jen- your blog is awsome, great ideas!!! Thanks for the invite I will definately link up this Friday!

Brooke Douglass said...

Those are sooo cute!!! I have been wanting to find some old barn wood for sooo long...maybe I will find some soon and I can do something like this! You did an awesome job! Brooke
I am your newest follower and hope that you will come be a follower at my blog!!! brooke
brookedouglass@yahoo.com
Girl Boy Girl Inspired

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

Those signs look great! I love the old barn wood look. :)

ramiz said...

Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks.
rustic flooring

Unknown said...

w7d66h5j93 k9z61r4z71 s7y01b0i03 a3r90s4g62 i6m10p9b04 o1r55b0z02

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...