Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

How Often Do You...Clean Your Closets

If you have been reading my blog for awhile you may know that I am really weird when it comes to my master bedroom closet. Most women have a space that is dedicated to themselves, a momcave, and it seems most moms have a craft room that they can escape to.
I however, use my bedroom closet as my momcave.
The down side to this is I have to share it with my hubby, but he doesn't love it the way I do so no problem there. My closet isn't huge in fact it's quite small in comparison to those I have seen in blogland, but it is big enough for me to stretch out in and talk on the phone and that is exactly what I do.
Because I spend so much time in my closet I like it to be clean and organized. I make sure the baseboards are wiped down and all the shelves are dusted off and the cloths and shoes are all organized neatly, but just because I am such a nut about this closet does not mean I am that obsessive with the other 4 closets in my house. I keep all the closets organized but I don't actually clean them very often....like once a year often...maybe...
This series has sparked my interests in various surfaces of my house, so today I did some research on what the "professionals" say as to how often we should clean our closets and I was surprised. I would think once a year would be good, but they actually recommend 4 times a year!!
 Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.
Every season change you should pull everything out of your closet and wipe down the baseboards and walls and dust the shelves. This also allows you the chance to be reminded of the things you have packed in the closet and to purge a bit. Which I actually talked about here.
So in the name of Spring guess what I am doing today??? Yep, Spring cleaning out the closets and I am starting with the boys closets. I think because they are boys their closets just get dirtier.

All I need is my trusty Mrs. Meyers and a rag.
Yum, basil scented. It says counter cleaner but it is actually All Purpose Cleaner,
I used the tip on the side of the bottle and when it ran out used 4 tbls of all purpose cleaner and 1/2 bottle of water.


Before
Not too bad, just kinda unorganized

Can you see the dust in the corner???
 It was much worse to the naked eye.

After
Much better! Organized and clean no more dirty finger prints!

Before
Gak! I don't venture up here as often as I should obviously!

There should be a middle picture, because I actually found cob webs in his closet,
however, due to my fear of what they hold I did NOT take pictures.
I was to busy flaring my arms around and whacking them down.

After
AAAAhhhh. So much better.

I am about to start painting both boys rooms and closets, so don't judge. They will be much nicer in the near future. Until then, I remind myself they are boys.
What are your closet cleaning habits, do you clean them as often as the "professionals" say? What are your tips and tricks to keep them cleaner through out the year?

Other How Often Do You Series Post are:
How Often Do You...Clean You Toaster??
How Often Do You...Clean the back of your washer and dryer

Jen

4 comments:

Beth said...

Girl, I'm still working on cleaning my bathroom and kitchen. The closets are seriously going to have to wait....like until we move! LOL! Your closets look fab!

Kimra said...

In the past 4 years, the longest I've ever lived anywhere is 9 months, so I've never worried about things like closets and seasonal cleaning stuff. I just clean it when we move. We'll probably move again within this next year. Someday I'll have to think about cleaning my closets, but not right now :/ Although, I'd take cleaning closets over moving any day.

Colleen said...

I am constantly organizing ours - well mine and the kids. My hubby hates when I touch his. I just like them to be orderly and I'll often vacuum. I guess I don't think of wiping the baseboards down. Hmmm, I may have to do that.

The big clean-outs are twice a year.

Tara @ FabulouslyCrafty said...

Much Better!! Inspired me to clean out mine!!!
Ive got the same dusty corners... but I think I may put it off another week............... or two ;)

Tara
Visit Me Back @ FabuLESSly Crafty!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...